[pve-devel] get config from an "external" VM

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Thu Dec 20 10:42:22 CET 2012

> First i'm really sorry that i got your owner = 0 wrong. I thought about a perl
> "boolean 0/1" and tought you meant $owner != $vmid. That's why i was still
> working with vmids instead of 0.
>
>  >
>  > Nothing? My suggestion is that we do not delete shared disks
> automatically.
>
> If we don't care about all corner cases with shared images. Wouldn't it be
> easier to leave then the disk assigned to a VM instead of using 0?

No, because if you delete the wrong VM you run into problems.

> Then it is at least possible to delete the volume through PVE.

You can delete the volume on the storage view?

> Another idea would be to use vmid 0 and then have a list of shared volumes
> under
> /etc/pve/sharedvol.cfg:
> vm-0-disk-1: 123,125,126
> vm-0-disk-2: 123,199,101
>
> which can be read and modified by all nodes.

Each storage has a content view - why don't we manage shared volumes there?

> So if the last reference to the
> volume get's deleted - the volume itself gets deleted too.

I consider that very dangerous. I would prefer to use the content view to alloc/free shared volumes.
Won't that work for you?