[pve-devel] LXC volumes on ZFS over iSCSI

Andreas Steinel a.steinel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 03:31:57 CEST 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier at odiso.com> wrote:
>>>Having e.g. LXC working over NFS with ZFS on another server.
>
> Do you want to manage snasphot/clone on the zfs server ?

Yes, the purpose is to use a ZFS-based storage on multiple nodes
without iscsi. I don't know if Proxmox VE LXC is going to work, but
"normal" ZFS filesystems via NFS work on "normal" LXC on Jessie. I'm
running a few LXC containers on my Pi this way.

> if yes, I think it not too diffcult to add nfs support to zfsplugin.
> But I'm not sure how to manage nfs exports on target server. (maybe they are differents implementation (solaris, freebsd,...).
> Don't known if we can define a global nfs share, then automount sub nfs directory by zfs volume. (I manage them like this with netapp)

ZFS can share filesystems automatically via NFS. You only need to have
one 'dummy' entry in /etc/exports on Debian to get the NFS server
started. Afterwards it'll automatically share over the NFS server with
the option sharenfs. On Solaris, you will not have a problem at all.
Just use sharenfs on ZFS and you're good to go.