[pve-devel] Some translation strings missing

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue May 4 09:12:00 CEST 2021

Hi!

On 04.05.21 07:57, Daniel Koć wrote:
> I just finished full Polish translation, but found that some strings
> can't be translated. I made a quick search and it looks like some of
> them are not yet gettextized:
>
> $ grep -r -e "fieldLabel: '" -e "text: '" * | grep -v gettext | grep -v
> "do not localize" | wc -l
> 228

Some of those are things like "OSD" or "Ceph" which cannot be translated,

some are where one probably could argue for and some are def. just missed.

> (It includes PBS and PMG messages, since all the translation messages
> are merged into one file eventually.)
>
> Is it possible to make a patch which fixes it?

Do you want to take a shot at this and send a patch? It shouldn't be too hard,
relatively speaking.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation#Working_on_the_code

> This list is not complete, there are some other missing messages like:
>
>   * tooltip for documentation link for PVE and PMG (PBS does not have
>     this tip)
>   * "Subscription" section title on PBS dashboard
>   * Ceph installation wizard text

The latter was not made a gettext as it's a long text, really different
from the other classic field or button label texts. It changed a few times
already, and it's way harder to review for correctness. Further, we
currently cannot detect gettext instances spanning over multiple lines, so
the parser would need adaption.
That's not saying I'd reject making it a gettext in general, just stating
the reasoning for initially not doing so.

> It would be great to make them also translatable.

cheers,
Thomas