[pve-devel] seem than ifupdown2 is installed by default on upgrade (a friend reported me an ipv6 slaac bug)

DERUMIER, Alexandre alexandre.derumier at groupe-cyllene.com
Fri Nov 24 14:12:34 CET 2023

-------- Message initial --------
De: Thomas Lamprecht <t.lamprecht at proxmox.com>
À: "DERUMIER, Alexandre" <alexandre.derumier at groupe-cyllene.com>, pve-
devel at lists.proxmox.com <pve-devel at lists.proxmox.com>
Objet: Re: [pve-devel] seem than ifupdown2 is installed by default on
upgrade (a friend reported me an ipv6 slaac bug)
Date: 24/11/2023 13:49:26

Am 24/11/2023 um 11:12 schrieb DERUMIER, Alexandre:
> After investigate a litte bit,
>
> I think this is because  ifupdown1  is setting accept_ra=2  by
> default.
>

> and with ifupdown2, by security, we setup accept_ra=0   until it's
> really setup in /etc/network/interfaces
>

> iface vmbr0 inet6 auto
>           accept_ra 2

>>Yeah, it's your patch that broke compat here which we applied
>>already [0], but upstream hasn't yet [1] (

yes, this is my patch. I was not sure if we need to change this
accept_ra default to 2.

>>do you know what's going on
>>with them, much less responsive and no release yet since over three
>>years, maybe just NVIDIA stifling the great work the cumulus devs?)

I really think it's Nvidia related. here a friend pull request, about a
vxlan fix, where it's was already fixed in nvidia/cumulus ifupdown2 deb
version (I'm also a cumulus customer, so I verified that indeed they
are sometime minor differences)

https://github.com/CumulusNetworks/ifupdown2/pull/271

"we use an internal repository for ifupdown2 where we actively push our
changes daily/weekly.
Some changes are specific to Cumulus Linux and diverge from upstream
debian (i.e. default values and Cumulus specific features, etc).

So it takes quite some time to review the changes (and diff between
github/internal), and making sure they don't break upstream (and CL
ifupdown2). I pretty much maintain this github repo on my free time,
hence the long delay for the PRs, open issues and sync between
github/internal repo.
"

Looking at the code, I think it's a little bit behind the nvidia
version, but not too much.

But Indeed, they should tag a new version.