[PVE-User] unable to open pty with ubuntu 6.06 VE and 2.6.24-3 kernel

Ed Groth ed at boxpopu.li
Wed Sep 24 21:04:15 CEST 2008

Hello everyone,

I have some ubuntu 6.06 and 8.04 VE's running on proxmox 0.9.

They work fine on the 2.6.24 kernel that shipped with the 0.9
installation CD, and the 2.6.24-2 kernel from the 0.9 beta.  They also
run fine on the stock 2.6.24 kernel from openvz.org.

After using apt-get to upgrade to the new 2.6.26-3 kernel and
rebooting, the ubuntu VE's will boot but do not run SSH and I cannot
enter them using "vzctl VEID enter" although "vzctl VEID exec
/bin/bash" works.  If I downgrade to the 0.9 beta kernel they start
working again.

  # vzctl enter 1234
  enter into CT 1234 failed
  Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

Some people suggested running "MAKEDEV pts" in the VE which did not
help.  MAKEDEV complains that it cannot read /proc/devices but that is
the case in both the working and nonworking kernel.

Any ideas for how I can fix or narrow down the problem?

Thanks!

  Ed