[PVE-User] unable to open pty with ubuntu 6.06 VE and 2.6.24-3kernel

Ed Groth ed at boxpopu.li
Thu Sep 25 18:44:41 CEST 2008

Thank you for your help!

The MAKEDEV pts command on the host runs without complaint, but I
still could enter the VE once it is restarted.

If I run "cd /var/lib/vz/root/1234/dev/; MAKEDEV pty" while the VE is
running, I can enter it and it works normally.  However when the VE is
stopped and restarted the ptmx device is missing again.

I was finally able to fix the problem by entering the VE while it was
running, and "cd /lib/udev/devices; MAKEDEV pty".