[PVE-User] SPICE

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sat Dec 12 17:17:09 CET 2009

Dietmar,

----- "Dietmar Maurer" <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:
> So far they do not have usable clients (we would prefer a web based
> solution), but maybe an interesting solution in the future.

They do have working clients (source code and binary packages for Fedora 12 and Windows) but you are right that there isn't a web-based version of it available.

I got it up and running yesterday on Fedora 12 with the qemu-spice package they include but because the KVM VM I was running in qemu-spice didn't have any SPICE driver, it was very slow... but at least it worked.

I just followed the simple instructions here:
http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/getting-started-spice-fedora-12

I wonder how long it'll be before a working flavor for this will be generally available.  I asked on the fedora-virt mailing list regarding the possibility some of it would appear in Fedora 13 and got back some informative answers:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-virt/2009-December/msg00018.html

The good thing though is it appears that Red Hat has done well by releasing quite a bit of detailed documentation along with the source code.  See the PDFs on the spice-space.org site.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street