[PVE-User] KVM hardware Motherboard and CPU

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Fri Jan 16 09:36:50 CET 2009

Hi,

there is no intel cpu q8000, which one do you have exactly?
Pls see http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default.aspx?familyID=1  to compare the features (Inter virtualization is needed)

As far as I see, Q8200 and also Q8300 does NOT have Intel VT.

The Q9xxx series supports Intel VT.

To successfully run KVM, the motherboard also has to support Intel VT.

For small basic systems, I personally use the Intel Xeon series 3xxx with the entry level Intel server mainboards. They are low priced and you got decent performance and dual nic and good Intel quality. You can build these server by your own but you also can buy complete system from major vendors built on these components.

Can anyone recommend a 1he supermicro system? I know they are working well but I personally have no system here.

Best Regards,

Martin Maurer

martin at proxmox.com
http://www.proxmox.com