[PVE-User] Proxmox 1.5 and network timeouts with KVM

Shain Miley smiley at npr.org
Wed Dec 15 18:24:18 CET 2010

Hello all,
We have a Windows 2003 machine running on Proxmox 1.5 using the
2.6.24-8-pve kernel.  It seems that we are receiving periodic networking
timeouts on this machine, as I receive warnings from Zabbix claiming
that the machine is unavailable for anywhere between 1 to 3 minutes at a
time.

This happens during times when this machine is encoding/copying audio
files so there increased cpu useage and maybe increased I/O as well.

The net result is that any audio files are getting cut off way before
the whole file can be copied.

Here are my questions:

1) is anyone having similar issues;  do you have any recommendations on
how best to fix this?

2) do you think upgrading to 1.6 or 1.7 might help fix the problem?

3) can I use a mixed cluster with 1.5 nodes as well and 1.6. or
1.7...or do I need to upgrade the entire cluster?

Thanks in advance,

Shain

Ps..I am using rtl8139 and vmbr0 in this setup.