[PVE-User] OpenBSD VM boots for 1h with pve-kernel-5.15, works with 5.13 just fine

Stoiko Ivanov s.ivanov at proxmox.com
Fri Jun 17 12:23:49 CEST 2022

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 22:26:09 +0200
Jan Vlach <janus at volny.cz> wrote:

> Hi pve-user list,
>
> I've upgraded old 6.2 install to 7.2. With latest and default kernel (pve-kernel-5.15) my OpenBSD VMs spin up CPUs and boot takes very long. Rebooting into 5.13 fixes things for me and the VM is up instantly - When I go to webui, log-in and select console, there's login: already.

Anything in the PVE-nodes journal that might indicate where the error is
happening? (`journalctl -b` gives you the journal since boot)

which version of OpenBSD are you running?

> Hardware is: HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen10/ProLiant DL20 Gen10, BIOS U43 04/04/2019

check out the known-issues part of the 7.2 release notes - a few changes
to kernel-configuration can result in your machine needing to set some
kernel commandline parameter (try all of the mentioned ones):
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#7.2-known-issues

Also make sure to install the latest available BIOS for the machine (don't
know what the version for the g10 is - but 2019 seems a bit old)

I hope this helps!
stoiko