- from https://planet.debian.org/ check this http://sven.stormbind.net/blog/posts/misc_bios_updates_dell_latitude_lenovo_thinkpad/
- for thinkpad model P50
- Download the BIOS Update bootable CD image from Lenovo "n1eur31w.iso" (Select Windows as OS so it's available for download).
- Extract the eltorito boot image from the image "geteltorito -o thinkpad.img Downloads/n1eur31w.iso".
- Dump it on a USB thumb drive "dd if=thinkpad.img of=/dev/sdX".
- Boot from this thumb drive and follow the instructions of the installer.
- 'I guess the process is similar for almost all ThinkPads.'
- For supermicro and others I have seen well designed bios upgrade procedures for windows users. it would be nice to have a procedure like the one for thinkpad for supermicro.