Install from USB Stick
|Note: Article about Proxmox VE 2.0 beta|
The installation media is now a hybrid ISO image, working in two ways:
- An ISO image file ready to burn on CD
- A raw sector (IMG) image file ready to directly dd to flash media (USB Stick)
Using USB sticks is faster and more environmental friendly and therefore the recommended way to install Proxmox VE.
Write the ISO image to USB
In order to boot the installation media you need to copy the ISO image to your USB media. You need at least a 512 mb USB stick.
Instructions for Windows
- Make sure that your USB media is not mounted and does not contain any data.
- In order to copy the ISO, you need to rename it first, just rename the downloaded file from proxmox-ve_2.0-*.iso to proxmox-ve_2.0-*.raw.
- Download the SUSE Studio ImageWriter and run as admin.
- Copy the image to your USB media
Instructions for Linux (and OSX)
There are several tools around, based on dd.
Boot your server from USB media
Connect your USB media to your server and make sure that the server boots from USB - and follow the installation wizard.