- 1 Introduction
- 2 System requirements
- 3 Steps to get your Proxmox VE up and running
Proxmox VE installs the complete operating system and management tools in 3 to 5 minutes (depends on the used hardware).
Including the following:
- Complete operating system (Debian Etch 64)
- Partition the hard drive with LVM2
- Proxmox VE Kernel with OpenVZ and KVM support
- Backup/Restore tools
- Web based management interface
Please note, the complete server is used and all existing data is removed.
For production servers, high quality server equipment is needed. Keep in mind, if you run 10 Virtual Servers on one machine and you got a hardware failure, 10 services are lost. Proxmox VE supports clustering, means that multiple Proxmox VE installations can centrally managed via the included cluster functionality.
Proxmox VE uses local storage (DAS), there is no need for expensive SAN equipment.
Minimum requirements for evaluation:
- CPU: 64bit (Intel EMT64 or AMD64), Intel VT/AMD-V capable CPU/Mainboard (for KVM Full Virtualization support)
- Minimum 1024 GB RAM
- Hard drive
- One NIC
Recommended system requirements:
- CPU: 64bit (Intel EMT64 or AMD64), Multi core CPU recommended, Intel VT/AMD-V capable CPU/Mainboard (for KVM Full Virtualization support)
- Minimum 1 GB RAM, 4 GB is good, more is better
- Hardware RAID with batteries backup
- Fast hard drives, best results with 15rpm SAS, Raid10
- One NIC
Basically you can use all hardware supporting Debian Etch 64 bit. If you are unsure, just pick one of these:
- HP DL380G5
- IBM x3650
Steps to get your Proxmox VE up and running
Install Proxmox VE server
- Download ISO image and burn it on a CD (see Downloads)
- Boot from CD and start the automatic installer on your dedicated hardware
- Follow the instructions on the screen
Proxmox VE web interface
Configuration is done via web interface, just point your browser to the given IP address during installation (https://youripaddress). Please make sure that your browser has sun-java plugin installed (GCJ for firefox does not work yet) as this is used for console view. Proxmox VE is tested for IE6/IE7, firefox 2.x and 3.x
Default login is "root" with the password "admin" - this is also the root account for console access.
Configure basic system setting
Please review the following settings, see Configuration/System:
- Time settings
- Options: language (for the management web interface)
- Options: set the keyboard layout (this is the keyboard layout for Virtual Machines)