Upgrade from 2.3 to 3.0
Note: 3.0 is currently in beta state, so do not upgrade production server, only testing!
There are two possibilities to move from 2.3 to 3.0:
- In-place upgrade via script (recommended)
- New installation on new hardware (and restore VM´s from backup)
In-place upgrade via script
Before you start, make sure you have a valid backup of all your settings, VM´s and CT´s. If the upgrade fails, you should be able to do a clean ISO installations and restore all VM´s and CT´s from backup.
We provide an upgrade script which does the following:
- Dist-upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy
- Installation of Proxmox VE 3.0
- Optional: Purge obsolete packages
- Up2date Proxmox VE 2.3
- Backup of all VM´s and CT´s
- No running VM´s or CT´s
- Enough free space in your /root file-system
Start the upgrade
- make sure you have up to date 2.3 system
- Login to your Proxmox VE host with SSH and download the script:
- make the script executable:
chmod +x pve-upgrade-2.3-to-3.0
- Stop all your VMs and Containers
Depending on your Internet connection and hardware the upgrade will take some time (if everything is fast it will take about 10 minutes). The script is idempotent, so you can safely restart it if something goes wrong.
The script can download the packages (around 265 MB) before the packages are installed, so this is a good method to minimize downtime, especially if your internet connection is slow.
If you are really ready for the upgrade, run the script:
The script writes a detailed log to 'pve-upgrade.log'.
- Optional: Purge obsolete packages to save disk space (this removes all non default packages, so run this ONLY if you did not installed anything else. Do not run this on customized installations like OVH or similar)
- stop or migrate all VM/CT to another node (live or offline)
- run the upgrade and reboot
- migrate or start the VM/CT on this 3.0 node and check if everything is working as expect. Also live-migrate should work.
- do the same with all other nodes, step by step
GUI/Browser shows old version
Reload the page and/or empty browser cache.
Minor Grub2 issue
After running the upgrade, the grub menu list still shows on reboot the 1.98 grub version from Squeeze. To upgrade this to 1.99, just run:
Apache2 is not needed anymore and can be removed.
apt-get purge apache2*
New installation on new hardware
Install 3.0 on new servers and move your VM´s step by step via backup/restore. If you choose this method you can do the move step by step and with minimum risk.