Windows guests - build ISOs including VirtIO drivers
Using Paravirtualized Block Drivers for Windows can dramatically improve Windows guest performance but installing them can be a bit of a fuss. This Tutorial shows you how you can inject all VirtIO drivers into all of your Windows install ISOs in one step using Windows® Automated Installation Kit and some batch files. This makes it really easy to deploy Windows with the most efficient hardware/driver configuration.
- Launch a fast Windows 7 box and create a folder c:\tmp
- install AIK for Windows 7 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5753)
- install an ISO editor such as UltraIso
- unpack File:Inject-virtio-drivers.zip batch files to c:\tmp
Prep and extract isos
- copy all your Windows ISOs to folders c:\tmp\win7, c:\tmp\win2008, c:\tmp\win8, c:\tmp\win2012, etc
- extract sources\boot.wim and sources\install.wim from each iso (e.g. by using UltraISO) and put them in the same folder as the iso
- get the latest virtio-win-x.x-xx.iso and extract the drivers into the VirtIO folder for each OS (e.g. WIN8\AMD64\*.* from the iso goes into c:\tmp\win8\VirtIO\ and into c:\tmp\win2012\VirtIO\)
- Start All Programs -> Microsoft Windows AIK -> Deployment Tools Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)
- check how many indices your install.wim has (e.g. dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:c:\tmp\win2008\install.wim). Windows 2008 has up to 8 indices
dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:c:\tmp\win2008\install.wim . . Index : 7 Name : Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERWEB Description : Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERWEB Size : 10,538,107,020 bytes Index : 8 Name : Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERWEBCORE Description : Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERWEBCORE Size : 3,580,635,107 bytes The operation completed successfully.
- Set the variable IDX in each winxxxx-inject.bat to the number of indices you found in each install.wim (e.g. IDX=8)
- For each OS there is a SetupComplete.cmd. This script is always executed by the Windows installation as a final step. Make sure it contains the ballon service installer. You may add other commands to it.
inject drivers and write wim files back to isos
- launch multiple winxxxx-inject.bat sequentially and uninterrupted, e.g.: winpe-inject.bat && win7-inject.bat etc.
winpe-inject.bat && win7-inject.bat && win2008-inject.bat && win8-inject.bat && win2012-inject.bat
- alternatively you can run multiple batch commands in parallel by launching multiple instances of "Deployment Tools Command Prompt" as Administrator
- for each iso use UltraISO to copy boot.wim and install.wim back to the sources folder of the ISO file
example batch file win2012-inject.bat
@echo off set MyOS=win2012 set IDX=4 if not exist c:\tmp\%MyOS%\virtio\blnsvr.exe (echo Please copy the VirtIO drivers to c:\tmp\%MyOS%\VirtIO\ first && goto :eof) rem **********(1,1,2) means 2 loops ************************* FOR /L %%i IN (1,1,2) DO ( ECHO Prepping %MyOS% boot.wim - Index %%i if not exist c:\tmp\%MyOS%\bootwim\%%i mkdir c:\tmp\%MyOS%\bootwim\%%i imagex /mountrw c:\tmp\%MyOS%\boot.wim %%i c:\tmp\%MyOS%\bootwim\%%i dism /image:c:\tmp\%MyOS%\bootwim\%%i /add-driver /driver:c:\tmp\%MyOS%\virtio /Recurse /ForceUnsigned imagex /unmount /commit c:\tmp\%MyOS%\bootwim\%%i ) FOR /L %%i IN (1,1,%IDX%) DO ( ECHO Prepping %MyOS% install.wim - Index %%i if not exist c:\tmp\%MyOS%\installwim\%%i mkdir c:\tmp\%MyOS%\installwim\%%i imagex /mountrw c:\tmp\%MyOS%\install.wim %%i c:\tmp\%MyOS%\installwim\%%i dism /image:c:\tmp\%MyOS%\installwim\%%i /add-driver /driver:c:\tmp\%MyOS%\virtio /Recurse /ForceUnsigned xcopy /Y c:\tmp\%MyOS%\VirtIO "C:\tmp\%MyOS%\installwim\%%i\Program Files\VirtIO\" xcopy /Y c:\tmp\%MyOS%\SetupComplete.cmd "C:\tmp\%MyOS%\installwim\%%i\Windows\Setup\Scripts\" imagex /unmount /commit c:\tmp\%MyOS%\installwim\%%i ) :eof
change the Proxmox UI default settings to VirtIO
Now that you have changed all your ISO files to include Paravirtualized drivers you no longer need IDE drives or a E1000 network adapter. Wouldn't it be best to change the defaults to the settings that use our resources most efficiently. Please follow these instructions to patch the PVE UI. Defaults - change PVE UI defaults to VirtIO
Use virtio dirvers for best performance. More info: Paravirtualized Block Drivers for Windows
latest iso with virtio drivers : http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/