[pve-devel] report on openvswitch

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Mon Nov 7 09:26:58 CET 2011

Hi,

After 2 week of testing openvswitch,

Here a little reports:

Firstly,
you need to compile openvswitch module kernel and some management daemon and userspace tools (easy)
you cannot use linux bridge module kernel and openvswitch module kernel at the same time.

After that, you just need to replace brctl tools, by openvswitch tools.

It is working really fine, like a real switch.

So no more prosmisc mode !

I can do bonding (lacp,failover) inside the switch.
rate limiting is working .
netflow is working fine too.
Performance is equal to linux bridge. (same cpu). I see some benchmarks with 10GB, with better result than linux bridge.

The only thing which not working good, is vlan tagging. (you can use 1 bridge, and add different vlan tag to each network interface)

I was talking with openvswitchs dev, we need a recent kernel > 2.6.37, as it need a rework of kernel vlan architecture.
Also nic kernel drivers need to be updated, and it will be finished for 3.1 kernel.

I had try with bnx2 and e1000 module, vlan not working with current kernel.

Also, openvz not working with openvswitch(crash), as openvswitch replace linux bridge.

So I think we need to wait a little time, more recent kernel and also openvz compatibility.

Best Regards,

Alexandre