[pve-devel] RedHat KVM Performance Opt.

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Sun Apr 8 10:26:28 CEST 2012

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the info,I already know about this doc. :)

for example:
>> Activate Transparent Huge Pages (OpenVZ has it disabled since 042stab053.5)

I see that, hopefully we use vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab049.6.src.rpm for the moment.
Don't know why openvz disable it with last release ?

>> vhost_net device should be default for network stuff
already done :)

>> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_filter
not done. Don't know the meaning of arp_filter.

>> libvirt xml: ... cache='none' io='native' per block device
already done :)

Things that's also missing is cpu pinning and numa affinity.

-Alexandre

today i found this paper from redhat regarding performance optimizations
for KVM.

As proxmox is based on the OpenVZ Kernel which is based on the RH 6
Kernel it should match the stuff desribed here.

Can we perhaps rent some if the settings from here:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/wiki/images/5/59/Kvm-forum-2011-performance-improvements-optimizations-D.pdf

for example:
Activate Transparent Huge Pages (OpenVZ has it disabled since 042stab053.5)
vhost_net device should be default for network stuff
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_filter
libvirt xml: ... cache='none' io='native' per block device

Greets