[pve-devel] integration of scsi-hd, scsi-block, scsi-generic

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Sun Aug 12 11:05:31 CEST 2012

I have tested both, thet don't works with kvm 1.1

scsi-block

kvm: -device scsi-block,bus=scsihw0.0,scsi-id=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0: scsi-block: scsi generic interface too old
kvm: -device scsi-block,bus=scsihw0.0,scsi-id=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0: Device 'scsi-block' could not be initialized

scsi-generic

kvm: -device scsi-generic,bus=scsihw0.0,scsi-id=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0: not /dev/sg*
kvm: -device scsi-generic,bus=scsihw0.0,scsi-id=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0: Device 'scsi-generic' could not be initialized

> about scsi-generic, what happen is the guest has a kernel < 3.4 ?
Haven't tested but as virtio-scsi-pci was introduced in 3.2 anyway i
won't care much about older kernels. What do you thik? (i mean 3.4 is
not far away from 3.2)

Yes I think we can put scsi-generic as default when using libiscsi, but we need to wait for kvm 1.2 (should come in 1 or 2 month)

If you really need it , you can hack /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm, sub print_drivedevice_full , my $devicetype = 'hd' -> generic.