[pve-devel] Firewalling Proxmox with Shorewall

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Fri Aug 17 06:41:07 CEST 2012

> In shorewall rules files, it has generated 3 rules:
> Ping(ACCEPT)    $VMBR0:172.16.0.234
> $VMBR0_VM101:tap101i0:172.16.0.120
> Ping(ACCEPT)    $VMBR0_EXT:172.16.0.234
> $VMBR0_VM101:tap101i0:172.16.0.120
> Ping(ACCEPT)    $VMBR0_VM100:172.16.0.234
> $VMBR0_VM101:tap101i0:172.16.0.120
>
> Take note that this rule has the same effects as the three above:
> Ping(ACCEPT)    $VMBR0_VM100:tap100i0          $VMBR0_VM101:tap101i0

Why do you thing this has the same effect? Instead, this has completely different effect for me.
Please can you elaborate.

> And this one should work for an external IP this vm:
> Ping(ACCEPT)    $VMBR0_EXT:X.X.X.X $VMBR0_VM101:tap101i0
>
> What do you think about :
> 1) Renaming variables like $VMBR0VM100 to something like $VMBR_VM100

Why do you want to drop the bridge number? Or do you just want to add
an underscore? Like $VMBR0_VM100 - that would be OK for me.

> 2) Enhancing vm.fw syntax with a vm1XX:net0 syntax, instead of its IP ?

Using IPs is standard, so it makes no sense to remove that feature. The purpose is not
to select a specific VM. You use that to limit access to/from certain external IPs.

But you are right, we can allow VM zone names additionally.

> 3) Enhancing vm.fw syntax with a brX syntax in order to get a rule like

I guess we need two different rules files. One for the VMs (this is implemented),
and one per node (or cluster wide).

The node wide rules files can have normal shorewall syntax, and we can allow to use
zone variables like  $VMBR0_VM100. That file can only be edited by admin, so we can
basically allow all shorewall features there (DNAT, SNAT, ...)

> I am not sure, too, if this can work between 2 bridges.

This will not work between different bridges, and this is intended behavior.
If someone wants that, he needs to use a routed network setup (like openvz venet).

Do you think this limitation will bite us? I don't really think that is needed.

- Dietmar