[pve-devel] VM snapshot problem

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Fri Aug 24 11:53:48 CEST 2012

>>I do not see a big problem - why do you think that does not work
>>for VM snapshot purposes?

because raw file, is just a flat raw ....no metadatas, no copy on write.
Did I miss something ?

I also see that ibm worked last year on a new format: FVD
http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/view_project.php?id=1852
http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/FVD

same performance than raw but with snapshot support
I don't know why it's not already in qemu upstream.

>> xen people claim they can do that without support from san/nas.
For nfs, I really can't see how it's possible. (maybe xen people are crazy :-) Do you have some references mailing list ?)
Vmware use their vaai api, which is integrated in all the big san appliances. But closed source protocol...
Openstack have a netapp (soap) and nexenta (rest) plugin to do this.

>>Yes, but only on one node, and I delete the snapshot afterwards, i.e. we never
>>move such image while snapshots are active!
Ah ok. I really can't help you, I never use lvm in cluster.