[pve-devel] some news for snapshots

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Mon Aug 27 18:17:57 CEST 2012

>>I mean I see the problem with backup, but external hnapshot has much more problems,
>>because you need to do a merge after the backup?

Yes,we need to merge if we want to delete the snapshot after the backup.
and now, this is from parent to children.

> By making the snapshot-file argument of the monitor and QMP command
> optional, that could be used as a request to make the snapshot internally
> instead of to an external file.

so this is using the blockdev-snapshot-sync without file argument to do snapshot internal, in the current qcow2.
I talk with qemu mailing, this is not planned for now.

>> However, without live block migration of an
> internal snapshot, there is no way to make a backup of an internal snapshot
> while still leaving the VM running, so this feature is not planned at the
> present. For now, the snapshot-file argument is required, and only external
> snapshots are implemented.

Yes, indeed with external snapshot, we can backup the parent file.
This is good for backup only I think.

Internal snapshot should be the way to handle snapshot/rollback.
(do a snapshot before doing a critical update by exemple, and rollback in something goes wrong without need to merge)

sheepdog,rbd,nexenta can do the both.
(you can do a fast snapshot/rollback, or export an image at snapversion  to do backup)

> By making the snapshot-file argument of the monitor and QMP command
> optional, that could be used as a request to make the snapshot internally
> instead of to an external file. However, without live block migration of an
> internal snapshot, there is no way to make a backup of an internal snapshot
> while still leaving the VM running, so this feature is not planned at the
> present. For now, the snapshot-file argument is required, and only external
> snapshots are implemented.
>
> Do you fully understand that?

I mean I see the problem with backup, but external hnapshot has much more problems,
because you need to do a merge after the backup?

Alexandre D e rumier

Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseaux

Fixe : 03 20 68 88 85

Fax : 03 20 68 90 88