[pve-devel] introduce linked disks

Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG s.priebe at profihost.ag
Mon Dec 17 11:15:31 CET 2012

Hi,
Am 17.12.2012 11:08, schrieb Dietmar Maurer:
>>> store1:/0/vm-0-disk-1.raw
>>>
>>> (owner is VM 0). But I am not sure if that is a good idea.
>>
>> The idea is to have entries like this one:
>> shared_scsi1:vm-117-disk-5
>> shared_virtio2:vm-117-disk-9
>>
>> We don't need the path as the PVE code always rely on the vm-(\d+)
>> number. So my idea was to do this here too.
>
> So how do we detect that a volume is shared? When storage name has prefix 'shared_'?

We have to possibilies:
1.) Volume is shared FROM another guest:
shared_scsi1
So thisis pretty easy to detect by the shared_ prefix.

2.) Volume is shared TO another guest:
I can imagine to possibilities here:
- add an option to disk when the disk gets shared by another VM:
...,cache=writeback,shared=1
or
to loop through all VMs when we need to know this.