[pve-devel] qemu-server changes

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Mon Feb 6 06:47:40 CET 2012

> >>Else a device simply vanish from the configuration, and this is very
> >>confusing on the GUI!
>
> ok, I understand what you mean.
>
> My point was that config file should reflect what is really plugged in running vm.
> For me, that's more confusing to display a device in gui, if it not really yet
> available until next reboot.
>
> Also, if hotplug fail, and device is in conf, we cannot retry to hotplug it or unplug
> it,without manual config file edit to remove it.

A hot-remove followed by a hot-add should work? But sure, I also see your point.

I just thought the probability of a hotplug failure is small.

> >>What can make hotplug fail exactly (beside bugs in KVM)?
>
> mmm,indeed, I didn't see a hotplug/unplug fail since a while...(doesn't see it
> with qemu 1.0 I think).
>
> So maybe can we try like this, and see if it's works fine for proxmox users ?

We need to make is more reliable, for example disable ide hotplug, and disable 'user'
network hotplug.

I thought about adding a hotplug flag to the $confdesc, indicating if an
option can be used when a VM is running:

hotplug => 0; never use this option when a VM is running (usb)
hotplug => 1; check if hotplug option is set (scsi, virtio)
hotplug = 2; always hotplug (boot, onboot, description, ..)

what do you think?

- Dietmar