[pve-devel] adding libiscsi to qemu-kvm ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Mon Jul 9 15:42:53 CEST 2012

Hi Dietmar,
I would like to add libiscsi support to qemu-kvm. (--enable-libiscsi)

https://github.com/sahlberg/libiscsi

This add support for iscsi direct lun access, without the need to manage them on the host side.

-drive file=iscsi://portal/target/lun

This really help when we manage a lot of luns like me.
No need to activate storage,volume,iscsi rescan,manual manage of luns deletion,...and no more proxmox lag when storage goes down or failover.

Debian package is available in backport, but old version (1.0.1)

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze-backports/libiscsi-dev

I have made a source package with last version 1.5 here

http://odisoweb1.odiso.net/libiscsi-1.5.tar.gz

I have also already made a libiscsi storage plugin (like current direct iscsi lun implementation) and a nexenta plugin using it.

Performance seem to be equal (I got around 70000io/s) with kernel iscsi.

The only thing different is that they are no multipath support. (It need to be manage inside the guest, or using lacp/bonded san network).

What do you think about it ?

- Alexandre