[pve-devel] little iops with PVE kernel than vanilla 3.5

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Mon Jul 23 11:57:37 CEST 2012

Maybe can you try to backport scsi module from 3.5 kernel ?

BTW,I never test the multi-sessions,seem to be very new in 2.0.873.
How do you configure multi-session ?

from open-icsi doc, for module compilation:

"By default the kernel's iSCSI modules will be used. Running:

	make
	make install

will install the iSCSI tools iscsiadm and iscsid to /sbin.

For 2.6.14 - 2.6.34 the modules in the kernel dir can built and install
by running:

	make kernel

When building those modules the kernel source found at
/lib/modules/`uname -a`/build
will be used to compile the open-iscsi modules. To specify a different
kernel to build against use:

	make kernel KSRC=<kernel-src>

or cross-compilation:

	make kernel KSRC=<kernel-src> KARCH="ARCH=um"

To compile on SUSE Linux you'll have to use

	make kernel KSRC=/usr/src/linux \
	     KBUILD_OUTPUT=/usr/src/linux-obj/<arch>/<config>

where <config> is the kernel configuration to use (eg. 'smp').

To install the kernel modules that were built run:

	make install_kernel

This will copy: iscsi_tcp.ko, libiscsi_tcp.ko, libiscsi.ko and
scsi_transport_iscsi to
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/scsi/
overwriting existing iscsi modules.

For Debian, be sure to install the linux-headers package that
corresponds to your kernel in order to compile the kernel modules
('aptitude install linux-headers-`uname -r`').  You may also wish to
run 'make -C kernel/ dpkg_divert' before installing kernel modules if
you run a Debian-provided kernel.  This will use dpkg-divert(8) to
move the packaged kernel modules out of the way, and ensure that
future kernel upgrades will not overwrite them.

Also, please be aware that the compatibility patches that enable these
iscsi modules to run on kernels older than 2.6.25 will not update the
ib_iser module; you may get warnings related to mismatched symbols on
this driver, in which case you'll be unable to load ib_iser and
open-iscsi simultaneously.
"