[pve-devel] new plugin architecture for storage modules

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed May 23 09:21:03 CEST 2012

Seems nexenta license is not compatible :-/

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CDDL

> Also I'm currently testing ceph/rados block with some ceph users,seem to
> works fine and easy to implement. (no kernel module need,on qemu-kvm
> with librbd).
> Ceph community is nice and very helpfull and I'm also in contact with Intank,
> the new company of ceph creator.
> Rados block is stable now (and commercialy supported),so I think I'll do a
> plugin module too.
>
> What do you think about it ?

I am confused. That is only the client side? A storage only makes sense if
one can also run a server. But ceph server is not stable in our kernel?

> For Ceph, I need to build pve-qemu-kvm with librdb , libraries are available
> on a official ceph debian repository (squeeze and wheezy) (basicly we need 3
> packages, librbd-dev for build, then librbd and ceph-common (tools)
> packages) What is the best way to include them in proxmox ? add ceph
> repository to proxmox ? or adding ceph packages in proxmox git ?

How stable are those packages (how many updates per year)? I guess we can copy
them to our repository if really needed.

- Dietmar