[pve-devel] NFS permission question

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Mon Nov 12 08:55:54 CET 2012

I export a directory via NFS using the following options: rw,sync,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash

On the client, I mount it on /mn/test

I have the following setting in the /etc/group file at the client:

shadow:x:42:www-data

So the following command works without problems:

# sudo -u www-data cat /etc/shadow

# ls -l /etc/shadow
-rw-r----- 1 root shadow 733 Aug  1 19:20 /etc/shadow

I have a similar file with the same permissions on the NFS share:

# ls -l /mnt/test/etc/shadow
-rw-r----- 1 root shadow 852 Nov 12 06:43 /mnt/test/etc/shadow

# sudo -u www-data cat /mnt/test/etc/shadow
cat: /mnt/test/etc/shadow: Permission denied

Andy idea why that does not work?

Above test was done using a nfs-kernel-server.

If I use unfs3 server instead, www-data can read the file even if it is not in the shadow group!

I am a bit clueless - any ideas?