[pve-devel] Fw: Storage migration

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Sat Nov 17 16:10:25 CET 2012

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 15:21:29 +0100
Michael Rasmussen <mir at datanom.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 15:16:43 +0100
> Michael Rasmussen <mir at datanom.net> wrote:
>
> Another issue with this procedure is that the VM changes ID which can
> be an annoyance since a lot of configuration stuff like automatic
> backup etc. is tied to a VM's ID in which case all this must be
> changed. My solution does not change the VM's ID in which case all
> existing configuration can remain unchanged.

Further arguments. The present migration works by moving the instance
but keeps the storage. What I propose is a means to keep the instance
but move the storage.

Proxmox in its current incarnation provides HA on the instance level
but lacks support for HA on the storage level. Eg. proxmox now can
migrate an instance between nodes in case of node failures or node
maintenance but if the storage needs maintenance you inevitably are
faced with down-time since proxmox is not able to move the storage
behind the instances running on the specific storage - the only
possible current way is to use the backup/restore strategy but this
strategy means down-time. The migration of storage is of course possible
given that you have a full-blown SAN but for the poor mans setup there
exists no such solution.

I know work is done on distributed storage but distributed storage is
not simple and will require more storage backend systems than what is
required for my solution since it scales down to only require two NAS
boxes which should be possible to buy even when using a poor mans setup.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys: