[pve-devel] pve-spice 0.12 package + report

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Oct 2 10:06:35 CEST 2012

about sasl:
http://spice-space.org/page/Features/SASL
"Testing
Running QEMU/KVM standalone, with SASL enabled.

Add the ',sasl' flag when launching QEMU with a Spice server.

The choice of SASL mechanism is made in /etc/sasl2/qemu.conf. "digest-md5" is a simple (but not very secure) username+ password method, while "gssapi" enables Kerberos (TODO: Kerberos untested with Spice so far)

If using SASL mechanism, then just add the 'sasl' flag eg with TLS:

qemu ...  -spice tls-port=5930,disable-ticketing,x509-key-file=server-key.pem,
x509-key-password=redhat,x509-cert-file=server-cert.pem,
x509-cacert-file=ca-cert.pem,sasl"

But I don't know if sasl is already implemented in the client.

implementation in ovirt:
http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/How_to_Connect_to_SPICE_Console_Without_Portal

"So what happens when you hit the "Console" button?
ovirt-engine sets a new password and it's expiry time (by default 120 s) which compose together a ticket
ovirt-engine looks up other connection details (more on them later) in its database
ovirt-engine passes all the connection info to the portal
portal sets variables on spice-xpi object
spice-xpi launches spice client and passes variables to it via unix socket
spice client connects directly to a host using data given to it by the portal"

So authentification is done internaly in ovirt user database, then a temp ticket of 120s is generated and spice client send it as password.
I don't think it's less secure, bruteforcing the ticket in a short time is very difficult.(the ticket is encrypted with rsa)