[pve-devel] RFC: vm cloning implementation proposal

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed Oct 3 10:51:57 CEST 2012

> >>But first, why do I want to clone a VM? Please can you elaborate on
> >>the usage scenario first?
>
> Cloning vm is a current scenario in enterprise, generally, you have a basevm
> you want to duplicate in 1 second.
> Other scenario can be vdi desktop, you can clone in live a vm if a user need a
> desktop.
>
> advantages : fast deploy, less space usage, and more io/s as if storage have
> cache,it can keep in memory the base image

Should we mark clone-able VMs as 'templates'?
For example to protect them from being started. We also do not want to show
them in the normal VM list? Maybe A VM template should not be a valid VM at all - we
just store template config somewhere else (/etc/pve/templates/<tmplname>.conf)?

Or do you you want to be able to clone any VM at any time (live)?