[pve-devel] RFC: vm cloning implementation proposal

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed Oct 3 18:20:21 CEST 2012

> yes.
> one note : for nfs,directory,filename/path can't be change after cloning, as
> new qcow2 file have parent path/file hardcoded inside it.

Yes, that is why volume templates will use a special path/name (They also has no owner VM).
We will also make the file permissions read-only.

> >>nexenta, rdb and sheepdog: use storage clone feature
> >>
> >>nfs, directory: we have to options here
> >>
> >>      - create linked clone: qcow2 with base image
> >>        - create full clone: copy template images
>
> Maybe (crazy) users want full clone from nexenta,rbd,sheepdog ?
> (exports/import ?)

I guess there is another action/feature called 'Copy VM'. This can be implemented
with simple import/export commands. In theory, you can copy the VM
to different storage.

So IMHO, 'copy' and 'clone' are different features?

> >>We can also have several different methods to create templates:
> >>
> >>a.) Create a template from any existing VM
> >>b.) Create a template from a VM backup file (file import possible)
> seem great
>
> >>other ideas?
>
> import a template from ovf or other public format ? (I never search about it,
> but maybe this can be usefull)

Ah, yes. We just need someone to implement that ;-)