[pve-devel] RFC: vm cloning implementation proposal

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Thu Oct 4 11:47:25 CEST 2012

> >>why not (we have a snaphot)? - those drivers do not allow that?
>
> Not sure for sheepdog, but rbd,nexenta you can't delete a snapshot if clone
> exist on the snasphot.

I want to delete the original, not the snapshot.

>(or storage should have some method to copy
> baseimage datas in each clone)
>

> baseimage->snap1
>             |->clone of snap1-> you are here
>
> clones are like a writable snapshots, with only new datas inside them, so if
> you remove the baseimage, it'll break all clones.

So you simply can't remove the original VM - the user will get an error message?

But I have no real idea how to handle that. Maybe replace the reference in the original VM
with a clone? In other works, when we create a template, we make the original VM a clone
of the created template?