[pve-devel] nexent questions

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Mon Sep 17 18:53:31 CEST 2012

We currently pass the following url to kvm:

iscsi:$portal/$target/lun

>>but the nexenta server does not always expose iscsi on ‘$portal’. Instead,
>>there are target groups. Any idea how to fix that?
maybe can we replace  the portal option by "management" ip.
and add target ip option ?

>>Also, libiscsi does not support multipath, so maybe we are better off not using it?
>>Can we use standard open-iscsi + nexenta api?
Indeed, with libiscsi, you need to do multipath inside the guest. (I'm not sure you can do true iscsi passthrough with multipath on host)

for open-iscsi,It's possible, I have done some work some month ago,
But having a lot of devices on host is difficult (but no impossible) to maintain.
We really need to add/remove the device from the host when the vm is starting.
some problem if not : when we delete/unmap a volume, we need to rescan the iscsi + multipath layer to remove the device.

The main problem was that open-iscsi scan all devices at iscsi login.
(I have done some tricks with udev settle, deleting all devices after the iscsi login)

Also when snapshot rollback, we need to unmap the iscsi lun, and the device wwid is changing.
Maybe some other problem, but I don't remember.

Maybe can we implement both, libiscsi + open-iscsi ?