[pve-devel] Count monthly traffic

Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG s.priebe at profihost.ag
Wed Apr 17 14:14:45 CEST 2013

Am 17.04.2013 14:09, schrieb Dietmar Maurer:
>> How have you calculated your 3000 Files?
>>
>> 3000 VMs all with 32 nics seems unrealistic to me.
>
> I simply want to show you that this can overload all! servers inside a cluster by
> just writing rrd files. I am not keen to spend any resources on that task.
>
>> Another way could be to just allow to query actual tap counters through API per
>> NIC.
>>
>> We then just have no SUM of this data and just a current value.
>
> Where do you plan to store that data?

Nowhere ;-) how about just return the counter values for the correct tap
device through API?

So it is basically:
1.) a wrapper from netX to correct tap
2.) query tap counter inout / output values
3.) allow to query this through API

So it is at least possible to implement traffic account in external
software. You jsut have to query the API every X seconds and detect
resets yourself. It acts than basically like SNMP traffic counters in
switches.