[pve-devel] internal dhcp server, where to put dhcp configuration ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Fri Aug 23 08:07:04 CEST 2013

>>My thought is that we only implement dhcp for routed mode, and configuration
>>can be obtained from VM config.

only routed mode ? I would like also have dhcp on bridged and nat network.
I agreed to have nic ip configuration in vm, but when you launch dnsmasq, you need to specify the network range for the bridge.
(Or we need to compute the ranges from the vms configurations)

Currently libvirt define the dhcp range on each bridge

http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html

>>Running a full featured dhcp server on a bridge is
>>something different for me. Please can you clarify what usage scenario
>>do you think about exactly?

What I have in mind is at least basic ip auto-configuration of network card in any case (bridge,routed,nat).
including gateway,dns-server (option domain-name-servers), domain (option domain-name ).

with for bridge+nat, dhcp leases across nodes to keep the ip configuration between live migration

How do you see things on your side ?