[pve-devel] OpenVSwitch GUI

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Sun Dec 29 08:42:58 CET 2013

I have found 1 bug, If I edit an existing ovs vmbr, when commiting, it's removing "allow-ovs "

about lacp, I found in xenserver source code  this:
+    if mode == 'lacp':
+        argv += ['lacp=active']
+
+        if halgo == 'src_mac':
+            argv += ['bond_mode=balance-slb']
+        elif halgo == "tcpudp_ports":
+            argv += ['bond_mode=balance-tcp']
+        else:
+            log("bridge %s has invalid bond-hashing-algorithm '%s'" % (bridge, halgo))
+            argv += ['bond_mode=balance-slb']
+    elif mode in ['balance-slb', 'active-backup']:
+        argv += ['lacp=off', 'bond_mode=%s' % mode

So, balance-tcp seem to be possible with lacp only.

Maybe could we add in gui 4 modes:

-active-backup  (bond_mode=active-backup)
-balance-slb (bond_mode=balance-slb)
-lacp layer2 (bond_mode=balance-slb lacp=active)
-lacp layer3 (bond_mode=balance-tcp lacp=active)

and also for classic bond, it could be great to have 2 lacp mode

-lacp layer2

bond-mode 4
bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2

-lacp layer2+3
  bond-mode 4
  bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3

>>Why? I can simply use ovs_options tag=... for that?
>>

>>On the other side users can simply create an OVSIntPort management port with vlan,
>>so we do not need that functionality on the bridge.

Yes, this is just to avoid to create an additional ovsinport. When the ovs bridge is created,
a default ovsinport with the name of the bridge is also created.
But it's not possible to setup the vlan for this internal port at bridge creation command line.
we need to update vlan of the default internal port with:

#ovs-vsctl set port vmbr0 tag=XX

> I would like to add this option also for classic linux bridge with vlan_filtering.
> maybe : mgmt_vlan option ?

>>No idea how that should work - we would need to modify the bridge ifupdown scripts?

simply with
#bridge vlan add dev vmbr0 vid XX self pvid untagged
So, yes we need to modify the bridge ifupdown script.

Alternatively, we could create some kind of "internal port" for brigde, with tap interfaces.
(I think it should work, then add vlan on these interfaces).

I think it should be better to have same kind of config for linux bridge or ovs.
I'll check for bridge and tap interface.