[pve-devel] new bridge code doesn't work with redhat kernel

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Thu Feb 7 16:27:19 CET 2013

Ok, I have done more test, It seem that the problem in my setup is my tagged interface in other bridge

don't work
-----------
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
       address 10.3.94.31
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       gateway 10.3.94.1
       bridge_ports bond0.94
       bridge_stp off
       bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge_ports bond0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

# brctl show
bridge name	bridge id		STP enabled	interfaces
vmbr0		8000.001aa03c98c5	no		bond0.94
vmbr1		8000.001aa03c98c5	no		bond0
vmbr1v95	8000.001aa03c98c5	no		tap115i0
							vmbr1.95

works (remove vmbr0)
-----
# brctl show
bridge name	bridge id		STP enabled	interfaces
vmbr1		8000.001aa03c98c5	no		bond0
vmbr1v95	8000.001aa03c98c5	no		tap115i0
							vmbr1.95

So we can't mix tagged interfaces and tagged bridges.
(must be a bug in kernel, as it's work fine with new kernels)

Any idea how to enslave a vmbr1.X  with ip address in /etc/network/interfaces ?

I had tried

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge_ports bond0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1v94
iface vmbr1v94 inet static
        address 10.3.94.31
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 10.3.94.1
        bridge_ports vmbr1.94
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

But It give me

Ignoring unknown interface vmbr1.94=vmbr1.94.

Also, I think I'm not the only to use this kind of setup, so proxmox users should be warned before doing the update.