[pve-devel] QEMU 1.4, Ceph RBD support (pvetest)

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Mon Feb 25 12:51:49 CET 2013

Hi all,

we just moved again a bunch of packages to our pvetest repository (on the road to Proxmox VE 2.3), including latest stable QEMU 1.4 and the GUI support for storing KVM VM disks on a Ceph RADOS Block Device (RBD) storage system.

Due to the new Backup and Restore implementation, KVM live backups of running virtual machines on Ceph RBD is no problem anymore - a quite unique feature and a big step forward.

Other small improvements and changes:
- qcow2 as default storage format, cache=none (previously raw)
- KVM64 as default CPU type (previously qemu64)
-e1000 as default NIC (previously rtl8139)
- added omping to repo (for testing multicast between nodes)
- task history per VM
- enable/disable tablet for VM on GUI without stop/start of VM (you can use vmmouse instead, for lower CPU usage, works on modern Linux and on all Windows VMs as long as you install the vmmouse drivers)
- Node Summary: added "KSM sharing" and "CPU Socket count"

Everybody is encouraged to test and give feedback!
Best regards,

Martin Maurer
Proxmox VE project leader