[pve-devel] Fw: corosync, multicast problem because of vmbr multicast_snooping enabled

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Fri Mar 8 19:21:52 CET 2013

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 18:51:32 +0100
From: Michael Rasmussen <mir at datanom.net>
To: Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier at odiso.com>
Subject: Re: [pve-devel] corosync, multicast problem because of vmbr
multicast_snooping enabled

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 18:26:59 +0100 (CET)
Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier at odiso.com> wrote:

> >>You are certain that it is not your switch which is causing problems?
> Do you talk to me or Dietmar ?

To you:-)
> >>I have never seen multicast problems in my log files and my switch will
> >>block multicast traffic unless multicast snooping is enabled on the
> >>ports involved or the entire vlan.
> This is strange, with multicast snooping (on your switch), your switch should forward multicast traffic to all ports,
> and not block it.
By switch by default blocks all multicast traffic. This can be open on
selected ports or an entire vlan.
> What is your switch model ?

HP V1910

> What I don't known is the relationship between igmp snooping of linux bridge and igmp snooping of a physical switchs.

Logical deduction: A linux bridge is like an unmanage switch using
un-tagged packages so provided the physical nic or bond on witch the
bridge is configured allows multicast traffic then the linux switch
will also carry multicast traffic unless blocked in the kernel or by
iptables.

The Phd thesis describing the igmp snooping implementation in linux
bridges can be downloaded here: http://eprints.fri.uni-lj.si/1086/

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
Send a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
Life is like an onion: you peel off layer after layer and then you find
there is nothing in it.
		-- James Huneker