[pve-devel] corosync, multicast problem because of vmbr multicast_snooping enabled

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Sat Mar 9 21:22:27 CET 2013

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 18:33:58 +0000
Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:

> So I think we talk about switch bugs here, not normal behavior.

I am leaning towards the same conclusion since I have never seen
those queries cause any problems here.

@alexandre: What precise Cisco switch do you see the problems with?
What IOS version? Are there any firmware upgrade available?

According to Cisco the queries should not cause any problems but maybe
this is what causes your problems:

"Multicast routers send host-query messages periodically to refresh
their knowledge of memberships present on their networks. If, after
some number of queries, the Cisco IOS software discovers that no local
hosts are members of a multicast group, the software stops forwarding
onto the local network multicast packets from remote origins for that
group and sends a prune message upstream toward the source."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfmulti.html#wp1067822

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on.