[pve-devel] implementation of a dhcp service in proxmox ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed May 22 06:50:20 CEST 2013

> But we need also a way to configure bridge ip for vlan bridges (vmbrXvX).

>>I don't think it makes sense to configure VLANS for routed bridges. You can use
>>different bridges instead?

I was talking about current bridge mode, when we choose a bridge with vlan. (no nat, no routed).
Currently we simplŷ copy the the parent bridge , to create a new bridge.

But I think you are right,If we want a dhcp,we need to defined manually 1 bridge by vlan with ip.
(Maybe It could be great to be able to defined a vmbrXvX manually in /etc/network/interfaces)

about dnsmasq, I have done tests, with this setup, 2 bridges, 1 guest with 1 nic on each bridge

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet static
bridge_ports none
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
address 192.168.10.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

auto vmbr3
iface vmbr3 inet static
bridge_ports none
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
address 192.168.20.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

with this dnsmasq command line:

/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --log-queries --user=daemon --except-interface=lo --bind-interfaces --dhcp-range=192.168.10.10,192.168.10.20,255.255.255.0,192.168.10.255,infinite  --dhcp-range=192.168.20.10,192.168.20.20,255.255.255.0,192.168.20.255,infinite --domain=odiso.net --conf-file

virtual interface on vmbr2, get corretcly an ip in 192.168.10.0/24
virtual interface on vmbr3, get corretcly an ip in 192.168.20.0/24

So dnsmasq simply allocated range, depend of the source ip which receive the dhcp packets.

So 1 dnsmasq daemon can do the job.
Maybe command line will be too long with a lot of ranges and ip.
Maybe can we generate the dnsmasq config file from proxmox configuration files before reload the dnsmasq deamon ?

Note:
Seem that they are a bug somewhere in virtio driver, I have udp checksum error in my guests, with dhcp queries,
to resolve them, I need to use this iptables rules in host:

iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -p udp --dport bootpc -j CHECKSUM --checksum-fill