[pve-devel] KVM Live Backup performance

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Nov 26 08:20:16 CET 2013

Hi, this is because with new backup,

each new write in the vm during the backup, is copied to backup storage and to the vm.

So, if you have a slow storage, the write to the vm is a the same speed than the backup storage.

This occur only once by block, be doing a full rewrite of the vm disk is the worst case.

Lvm does a snapshot, so backup storage can be slow. New write are only going to the lvm storage.
(But you need to delete the snapshot at the end)

New backup is written sequentially, so sequential write on the backup storage must enough fast to handle write of the vm.