[pve-devel] small dhcp patch review

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed Sep 11 08:53:46 CEST 2013

> >>I am currently unsure where we store the IP assignment. I currently
> >>use the VM config file, but there are other options. For example a
> >>cluster wide file /etc/pve/ipallocations which following content:
> >

> >><vmid>:<bridge>:<IP>
> >>100:vmbr0:192.168.5.100
> >>101:vmbr1:10.0.0.12
>
> I think you need to define nic too ?

Maybe, or only:

100:192.168.5.100
101:10.0.0.12

The rest can be auto-detected?

> (But maybe in gui is better to have it on vm nic config ? like openvz ?)

What we display on the GUI is a different topic, but yes, it is handy to
have the IP inside the VM config.

But we need to allocate IPs somewhere, and maintaining consistency
between that allocation and the VM config is difficult.
For example what happens if someone hotplugs/replace a network interface?