[pve-devel] ploop support in proxmox 3.2

Paul Penev ppquant at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 17:02:04 CEST 2014

It seems that ploop is not an experimental feature any more. At least
judging from what I read on the official ploop wiki page here:
https://openvz.org/Ploop

I am using a gluster cluster for holding kvm images.

I also have a lot of openvz containers, some of which have more than a
million small files (basically web servers and mail spools).

I would love to see ploop supported by proxmox to a point where I am
getting my feet wet and trying to build it by myself.

So far i have been able to get it working using a mix of recompiled
vzctl with ploop support and ploop libraries borrowed from the openvz
rpms, as there is no ploop packages for debian (yet).

So far I see some success: container creation works "out of the box".
The containers boot and work correctly.

I have not tried migration or other gimmiks (yet) but am willing to
give it a good spin.

Before going any further, I would like to ask if patches will be
welcome or not, and if the core developers will welcome such twist.

There's a need to bump the version of vzctl from 4.0 to 4.5 as there
appear to be some bug fixes in that version.

Also a package for ploop-library will need to be backported to wheezy
and provided in the proxmox repository.

Shall I go forward?

paul