[pve-devel] Virtio--Blk-Data-Plane deliver much higher I/O rates than both of its major competing hypervisors

Cesar Peschiera brain at click.com.py
Thu Feb 6 08:11:45 CET 2014

Hi people

Only as comment for you (if you don't know it), I bring a link PDF of IBM
that say between many things:

KVM with Virtio--Blk-Data-Plane deliver much higher I/O rates than both of
its major competing hypervisors

KVM with virtio-blk technology could achieve only about 150,000 I/O
operations per second for a single guest

KVM with Virtio--Blk-Data-Plane: (Technology Preview in RHEL 6.4) more than
1.5 million IOPS for random I/O requests that were 4KB or less
- 49% higher than VMware vSphere 5.1
- The highest storage I/O performance ever reported in a virtualized
environment

VMware vSphere 5.1: recently indicated that it could achieve almost 1.1
million IOPS

In addition, KVM with virtio-blk-data-plane technology can achieve much
higher I/O rates than what Microsoft has claimed for its Hyper-V hypervisor
across multiple block sizes

ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/linux/pdfs/KVM_Virtualized_IO_Performance_Paper_v2.pdf

Best regards
Cesar