[pve-devel] proxmox : idea for storage replication feature for disaster recovery

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Fri Jan 3 17:15:10 CET 2014

Hi,

I'm going to build a ceph for mid 2014, as next release will be lts (I'll test proxmox gui soon).

I'm looking to implement some kind of async replication for disaster recovery.

vmware has a feature called "site recovery manager"

Maybe it could be great to have same kind of feature for proxmox ? (replicate storage and vms configuration to remote site)

-Basic storage (files,lvm) could use standard live backup/restore from proxmox.

-ceph can use rbd replication (with delta snapshot)

http://rapide.nl/blog/item/ceph_-_rbd_replication

-zfs can use zfs send/recv
  zfs send tank/data at snap1 | zfs recv spool/ds01

-sheepdog have also incremental backup
 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.sheepdog/6749

So, maybe is possible to add some apis in pve-storage ? or extend current backup.

What do you think about it ? (I known it's a lot of work)