[pve-devel] Proxmox compatible Android client (Opaque) available for beta testing

i iordanov iiordanov at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 17:45:07 CET 2014

Hi Martin,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 4:38 AM, Martin Maurer <martin at proxmox.com> wrote:

> I just got it running on my Nexus 7 (first version), running on current
> android 4.4.2 and using Chrome Browser.

Thanks for confirming the functionality! Do you guys think it's warranted
to extend the timeout a bit so that people who are not as fast at realizing
they have to tap on the downloaded file will have time? Check how soon the
ticket expires subjectively and tell me whether you feel in a rush. It's
just a suggestion, of course.

> There is already a third party Android App for Proxmox VE,
> https://code.google.com/p/quadprox-mobile/, currently using VNC for
> console access.
> Using Opaque (spice) instead of VNC could be a nice improvement for
> quadprox-mobile.

I am not sure whether there is much of a point supporting SPICE in
quadprox-mobile. The SPICE protocol is aimed more at end-users rather than
system administrators, and end-users will not need to use tools like
quadprox to connect to their VMs. If you are interested in supporting
end-users of virtual desktop environments, the right thing to do is to use
your JSON API to retrieve and connect to VMs owned by users much like
Opaque does for oVirt/RHEV using libgovirt.

I don't know what Proxmox's aim is, though. Can you shed some light on that?

Cheers,
iordan

--
The conscious mind has only one thread of execution.