[pve-devel] DHCP server

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Sat Jul 19 18:38:02 CEST 2014

> I can test (I have these clients installed) with the following clients:
> - Windows 7 enterprise edition (XP is EOL and I do not want to install
>   windows 8 and 8.1 since I will never be using them. The same applies
>   to windows server 2008(r1|r2), 2010(r1) and 2013)
> - FreeBSD 8+9+10
> - OpenBSD 5
> - Omnios 151010
> - RHEL/CentOS 5,6,7
> - Debian 7 + testing and unstable
> - Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04
>
> Anyone missing apart from windows server?

looks like a good start.

> > Sure, I also think we do not need those other features.
> >
> I will prepare a prototype.
>
> I have made these decisions for design:
> 1) Leases and config are stored in files placed in /etc/pve to accommodate
> sharing between nodes as well as HA, perhaps in /etc/pve/priv/dhcp.

I guess /priv/ is not required.

> Because of the shared nature how should distribution be handled?

just lock the file before you write (or what is the question?)

> 2) A new tab should be created in the cluster page named DHCP server. A
> simple checkbox to enable/disable the server. This config is saved in
> datacenter.cfg (dhcpd: 0|1)
> 3) When a node starts it will read the option dhcpd to deside whether to
> start dhcp service or not.
> 4) There should be some sort of monitoring of this config so that all nodes
> react properly to disabling or enabling dhcp service.

Maybe we can integrate this into the firewall daemon?

> 5) The new tab

Alexandre has already done some work on that, so I think he should comment on that.
But he is currently out of office for 10 days, so please be patient and wait until he is back.
You can implement basic  functionality to test if it works at all.