[pve-devel] kvm command: discovered bug

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Mon May 12 01:00:48 CEST 2014

Hi Dietmar,

While testing patches send to zfs-plugin I have come across a small bug
related to the iscsi options used with the kvm command to start a vm.
This bug was discovered while testing the patch adding host and target
group to comstar. The bug is that since initiator name is not part of
the options to iscsi libiscsi will use a default initiator name which
is:

"By default qemu will use the iSCSI initiator-name
'iqn.2008-11.org.linux-kvm[:<name>]' but this can also be set from the
command line or a configuration file." (man kvm)

The initiator name can be configured on the command line like:
-iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:ddcb3fadcb55'

The initiator name should be parsed from: /etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi
Such a file will exist on every node in a cluster and each node will
have a unique initiator name. As long as every node's initiator name is
registered as a member of the host group on the storage server any
initiator name from one of the nodes will be accepted.

Failing to supply a initiator name on the command line means that the
storage server must assign a target to host and target group ALL
(target can be accessed from any client on the network!)

Should I make a patch which applies the above?

It will not brake anything for current setups since current setups must
already be configured to use ALL for host and target groups since this
is the only way the current setup will work.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
Look, we play the Star Spangled Banner before every game.  You want us
to pay income taxes, too?
		-- Bill Veeck, Chicago White Sox