[pve-devel] Maintenance mode

Daniel Hunsaker danhunsaker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 03:01:05 CET 2014

Agree with Andrew on this one.  I could also see default migration paths
being defined somewhere, such that when a node goes into maintenance mode,
VMs are migrated to the preconfigured target node, with a fallback to the
user-selected mode (that is, distribute evenly, or distribute to selected
nodes) if the target node is unavailable or not specified in the VM
config.  Haven't looked at HA in a while to remember if its configuration
already implements something like this, but if so, honoring that would be a
good idea.  I imagine there will be clusters with disparate hardware (mine
tend to be, anyway), and as such some nodes will be capable of running some
VMs that other nodes will not (the key example here being nodes without CPU
virtualization support, but other examples exist).  Being able to define
where VMs will migrate by default could help mitigate that.